Friday, September 17, 2010

Happy Friday!

I feel chatty but don't really have any photos to share. I decided to bail on the 2nd angel...at least for now. Work has become stressful due to the events of the last couple of weeks and I don't need stitching stress on top of it. Instead, I've thrown myself into Boo Club like you wouldn't believe. I am *so* close to finishing!! SO CLOSE! Can I do it before I leave for retreat? My goal is to be finished by Saturday night. I'd like to start something new to stitch on at retreat plus I have a quick small I want to squeeze in too.

I figured I would answer this month's SBQ from Lee.

Is there anything that you do while you are stitching that is kind of weird or unusual? A quirky habit maybe? Or anything that you do that makes you think, Hey...I wonder if anyone else does this?

I think I'm a pretty mainstream stitcher. I stitch in my stitching nest, using q-snaps, while drinking (coffee, tea, wine, cocktails...not all at the same time) and trying to get the most of my floss. I am not a waster. I watch tv. And sometimes I miss what's on the show and thankfully, I have Tivo and can rewind. How did we stitch before the invention of the dvr?! We were some lost, confused stitchy tv watchers! Sometimes, if I'm really into stitching and am watching a show on the Tivo, I let the commercial run because I just can't be bothered. I'm stitching here! I stick my needles into the upholstery of whatever I am sitting on...and sadly, I impaled Mr. Ex a ton of times because of this. You'd think he'd have learned! I'm a floss licker. Don't "eewww!" because you know you do it too. I try to be as minimalistic as possible with travel stitching. I leave with my project bag filled with linen-loaded q-snap, pattern, flosses and a pair of scissors. I've been lucky enough to never lose or break my needle but I sometimes wonder if I'm due. Maybe I should travel with a pack of needles instead of just the one lonely needle.

I wonder if anyone really does anything strange. I haven't seen any strange answers yet.

I am so happy it's Friday! This week's been a doozy! Happy Friday everyone...I hope your weekend is grand.

Until next time...

9 comments:

Margaret said...

You're smart to destress by working on the Boo Club. Can't wait to see it! I need to answer Lee's question. :D

Jackie's Stitches said...

Happy Friday!

I can't stitch if I'm really stressed. Can't knit or sew either. About all I can do is watch tv or read.

I must confess, I'm a thread licker too.

Danielle said...

Valerie, pics please of Boo Club!! I am chomping at the bit to see pics of the three new releases LK is going to have at Market next week. I know I will want them! I am just like you, a drink, the Tivo, and my stitching, but for me it's scroll rods and not Q snaps. What retreat are you going to?

Carol R said...

Looking forward to seeing Boo!

I like to stitch with 'background noise' either the tv, music or I listen to an audio book. Yes I am a 'floss licker'. As for travelling it does depend on how long I'm away. A weekend - a small project. A week - maybe two or three projects. Any longer and I need all of my stash! Not very practical eh? Kitted up for my trip I I have our SAL piece, 2 little red samplers and a Christmas ornament. I always take a pack of needles though. If I run of pieces to stitch I can also buy something new I suppose

Carol said...

Good luck on finishing your Boo Club today, Valerie--can't wait to see it in all its glory :)

Another floss licker raising her hand! I'm sure there are many of us out there!

Katrina said...

Fun, hope you get it finished in time for the TRIP :-).

I am floss licker, always travel with tons of needles and more projects than I need. You never know what you are going to feel like stitching ;-).

Anonymous said...

We are kindred spirits. I, too, am a floss licker, and I rarely fast forward the commercials on the dvr! I just can't be bothered...I'm stitching, hello! I have a well-organized bag with about five projects in it that I grab when I'm heading out.

Natalia said...

Valerie, I am definitely a floss licker also !! LOL. I love to travel with several things because I can never decide what I want to stitch on until I am actually ready to do it. I always take too many needles even though I've been using the same one for..... I don't know how long. Like you, I keep rewinding my DVR because I can't follow the movies and stitch. Yikes !!! We can talk some more next weekend at Shepherd's Bush :-)

Unknown said...

I am a floss licker too. I guess I never thought there was another way. I, too, am working on Boo while I wait for my treatments. Easy to see, and not at all stressful.

Now, I usually sit in my recliner with my Itouch playing music as I stitch. Years ago, I used to "watch tv" while stitching, but found I missed too much. Unbelievably enough we do not have DVR, so it is generally too frustating to try to keep up with both the tv and the stitching.

Hope you get Boo done, looking forward to pictures, and have a great time at your retreat!!