Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Tap Tap Tap...Hello...Is this Thing On?

Hello All...where do I begin?

2016 got away from me somehow. To be honest, it was a tough year. The first half was spent mourning the loss of my dad and it took me a while to adjust to the new normal of not having the most important man in my life present on this earth to talk to. But we talk in a different way now. Whenever I see roses, they make me smile and I feel my dad nearby. When the fiance gifts me roses, I share with my dad. Oh how he would spend weekend mornings outside tending his rosebushes and making sure the yard looked just so. Some days we go get donuts at my childhood place...chocolate old-fashioned...for him always and a cake donut for me. And if there is a car show, I am there. I'm a sucker for old classic muscle cars. I'm thinking that a Chevelle, Camaro or Mustang may be in my future should that mid-life crisis come around. For now, the staid Honda CR-V serves me well.

The last half of 2016 found me in the midst of wedding planning while moving from an apartment to a duplex and going on many trips to Paso Robles, Seattle, Vegas (2x), Mendocino (2x), Los Angeles (2x) and Hawaii.

It has been a whirlwind! That doesn't mean I haven't been stitching though, because boy, have I! It's been therapeutic to just take a mental break from the planning, traveling, packing, moving, unpacking and organizing that has taken over my life.

So let me catch you up on finishes! They are in no particular order and you may have seen some of them already if you are on Facebook or Instagram. Fee free to follow me on Instagram @sfvalerie.

Hands on Design First Day of Christmas ♫ A Patridge in a Pear Tree ♫ Stitched on Hand Dyed Fabrics by Stephanie Peppermint Sparkle linen. I love this color. It's so happy!

Victoria Sampler Love is Patient (called for linen and fibers) First quarter of my wedding sampler. I am now on the Hardanger section but don't have photos on my phone to share. 

Christmas Ornie Gift for my sister. I can't remember what this one is called but I believe it's stitched on Lambswool with CC Cupid. 

Cute pillows that Joy at Finely Finished finally finished for me. 
Lizzie*Kate Ho Ho Ho
With they Needle and Thread Jolly Holly Soul (or something like that..I get confused)

Lizzie*Kate Hats off to Halloween II
Lizzie*Kate Be Very Scary

And blocks from my Anniversaries from the Heart. I really need to dig this one back out. I am missing it!





Well...I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get better at this blogging bit! :)






9 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

You certainly have been stitching! Beautiful projects! I can't wait to see your wedding sampler completed. When is the big day? Very happy for you. xoxo

Margaret said...

So good to see a post from you! Love all the stitching you've been doing. I agree with Jackie -- so exciting to anticipate the big day!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely to hear what you've been up to Valerie. Your sampler is very pretty - so many neat stitches - a piece to cherish.

Robin in Virginia said...

Welcome back! Your finishes are all beautiful. Your wedding sampler is stunning and I look forward to seeing the rest of it.

Carol said...

Wow! You sure have been stitching, Valerie! And what beautiful projects--each and every one. I have never seen that wedding sampler before, but it is lovely with those muted colors. Hardanger? Yikes! I have never tried it--hope it's going well for you :)

I love your snowmen finishes so much--have that Frosty chart, but haven't stitched it yet. Seeing yours makes me want to get right to it. Do you remember the fabric you used? Really looks perfect!

I'm sure you're still missing your dad, but it does get easier in time. Love the fact that roses remind you of him :) For me, it's cardinals and whenever I see one in my yard it is like dad is visiting me. Last week "he" was here nearly every day :)

The months will fly by now until your big day--I can't tell you how excited I am for you both!! Enjoy the countdown!

Christina said...

lol - your post title made me giggle! So lovely to see a post from you Valerie. Your stitching is fab - I don't do a lot these days but your needle has been smoking! Your wedding sampler is just beautiful - I love the muted colours. When is the big day? I'm so envious. It's our tenth anniversary this year and I would love to do it all again...with Tom again, of course! 😉

gracie said...

Where have you been? Well, stitching I guess and it is al lovely!

Meari said...

Beautiful stitching, Valerie!

I didn't know you were a classic car lover. I bought my Dad's 1969 Pontiac GTO from his estate. It's metallic blue and so pretty. I'm dreading the day it stops smelling like his shed where it was stored. It's been almost 3 years since he passed, but I still feel (or should say smell) his presence.

Kaisievic said...

Hi Valerie; I have missed your posts and I have thought of you often. my condolences on the passing of your dear father. my thoughts are with you. I hope That the wedding plans are going well. Lovely stitching, my dear. Just gorgeous!