Saturday, October 17, 2009

I Totally Forgot...

...what a PITA it is to attach beads on with "invisible" thread! Wow, I think the last time I beaded anything, other than the trim on an ornament, was a couple of years ago. I'm at the beading part of Gigi and on Wednesday night I was so excited because I thought that maybe...just maybe, I'd finish Gigi that night. Whoa...was I wrong! It took me a couple of hours to attach about 30 beads! And I had to get all the tricks out...lap stand, Mighty Bright light, magnifier plus turning on all the "flood lights" in the living room. Yep, still couldn't see a damn thing. And this is how far I got. She'll be the focus tomorrow when I have the time to stitch during daylight hours.
So, since I had to put Gigi on hold, I've been stitching on Newton. He is basically a complete restart and since I decided to start with boring Blanc this time, I don't have an interesting enough picture. Newton is for my friend Claire who actually had the baby yesterday! Welcome to the world Baby Andre! And Happy Birthday to both of them! Baby Andre was born on Claire's Birthday so they both share the same happy day. And thus, I am super behind on this baby announcement project! I need to haul ass on this.

Well, if you've gotten this far, I am once again looking at floor stands. I really want to buy myself a streamlined recliner (i.e. small and non-poufy) and a floor stand so that maybe I can stitch more comfortably and faster. After a quick search, the Artisan Designs (Gazelle and Ergo) and the StitchMate floor stands stand out to me. If anyone has or had either of these, I'd appreciate hearing the good or the bad. The Artisan Designs stands seem a little more cost effective than the StitchMate so I am leading towards that but am willing to spend the money on the StitchMate if it's a superior product. Let me know your thoughts!!

Well, it's time to haul my laundry downstairs and to my parents so I can multi-task my visit. Parents to visit, laundry to wash...it's a two-fer and yes...I know I sound like I'm still in college but be soothed in the fact that I actually do my laundry...not my mom. With only one washer and dryer in the building for 21 units, it's tough getting dibs on the laundry room here!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday...go out and enjoy!

Until next time...

12 comments:

Daffycat said...

I always bead with floss ~ I can't stand invisible thread. I think PITA is a slight understatement!

Your "G" looks so beautiful!

Branlaadee said...

I bead with floss too. Occassionally I'll bead with Nymo if I have the right color. I have too hard of a time beading with visible thread, I wouldnt even try invisible. :P

The G looks great though!

Congratulations and happy birthday to Claire and Andre!

Natasha said...

HaHa had to re read PITA to finally get what that stood for. I also am one to bead with floss. I do not like the invisable thread. But I Have to say your letter "G" is looking great!!

I am headed up to NiAH next saturday 24TH would you be up for it. THere are a few ladies from stitchers By the Bay group going.

Mary Elizabeth said...

Me too. I use floss for adding bead to stitching. I also use a small quilting needle rather than a beading needle. They are easer to thread (the eye is shaped differently). Also those beeding needles are too darn long and bendy.
I hope to see you soon.

Danielle said...

I just started beading with floss. Much more superior and sturdy than invisible thread. And I own a Stitchmate, have since 2002. It is fantastic!!!!! I would own no other stand. I stitch in a recliner also and it just pushes right out of the way when I want to get up, not to mention the scroll frame flips over very easily for starting and finishing off threads. A true godsend and allows me to finish projects quicker.

Missy Ann said...

I have a Gazelle, Elan, and System 4. Right now I'm using the Elan. Email me about the Gazelle...

Margaret said...

She's gorgeous! I hope you can see her better in daylight to work! I don't use floor stands -- I stitch in hand. I think I'd love to have a floor stand just for the pretty wood. lol!

Deb said...

Oh Lord, so I remember those days fighting for the washer in my apartment building. I have always beaded with floss with the exception of one time. Someone told me that the invisible thread would desenegrate over time so I never used it again. I don't know if they're right, but I just never used it again.

CindyMae said...

She is looking gorgeous. I have actually never beaded but have heard that floss is much better!

Kathy P - NY said...

Just wanted to say that I have both the stitchmate floor stand and travel stand. I debated for a long time about the floor stand because of the price but once I finally bought it, I was SO happy I did!! I love it - it is SO easy to use and it fits under any chair/sofa I have. I would say the only down side to it is that it is not really a portable stand. But the flip side to that is that it is attractive enough to leave out all the time and it looks very nice! I would recommend the stand to anyone. Enjoy whichever one you decide!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I own a Needlework System 4...love it will never part with it. :)

Unknown said...

I also bead with floss, since I can't see the invisible thread. I pick a color close to my bead color and go for it. :-)
As far as floor stands, I have one to recommend not on your list: I love my Lowry. I got mine at my local LNS, but they are online at Stitcher's Paradise. It is from the UK, all stainless and light enough to carry to classes. Feel free to email me with questions. jcayemberg at gmail dot com.
Blessings,
Julie