Monday, August 04, 2008

Shopping Frustrations

At lunchtime, I ventured to the local shopping mall to try and find a birthday present for my niece. Note that the keyword in that statement is try. She'll be turning 14 and I was given instructions to find her clothes for her birthday. Ok...I can do that. She likes how I dress except with the hemlines shorter and the necklines lower (much to the objections of her mother). Now, I know I shouldn't have tried to accomplish this task during my allotted one hour lunchtime but I like to multitask during lunch as much as possible so that I can have as much of the evening to myself to lounge or socialize as I see fit. I arrived at the mall and immediately hit:

Gap: I had seen some very cute shorts online and found a pair of them in the store...in size 2. Ummm, yea. Do people out there actually wear a size 2?! Because let me tell you, I for sure do not and neither does my niece. I saw some possibilities there but it all seemed too boring and overpriced. Next...

American Eagle: I think I saw the shortest miniskirt ever made! If it will not cover my butt, it sure ain't being bought. Is there a shortage on fabric that I don't know about? Because I for sure will not pay $40 for maybe 1/4 yard of fabric that somehow got turned into a skirt. Next...

PacSun: Dear Lord, there are stores out there that only carry Junior sizes? We're in America. Doesn't everyone say that we're the most overweight country in the world? How do these stores stay in business? I guess all teenyboppers are supposed to be straight and skinny or something. Next...

Hollister: I wanted to leave the moment I stepped foot into this godforsaken store. Why is it so loud?! I wonder if the kids who work here wear earplugs. There has to be some level of ear damage if you're in there a long time. I wonder if the company realizes that is a workers' comp liability. And why is it so dark?! How do people see what they are trying to potentially buy?! Oh and they only carry Junior sizes too. Next...

Abercrombie and Fitch: It smells like someone dropped a case of cheap cologne and every single bottle broke. I actually saw some cute shorts here but then realized that the biggest size they carried was a 10. I hate stores like that! Who are these stores to define what size they go up until? I guess 10=fat or something. I'm a size 12 on the bottom and a size Small on top. God definitely graced me with too much booty! If the store will not accomodate all of me, I am not shopping there. AnF...please air out your store.

So I managed six stores in one hour including The Walking Company where I bought some leather lotion for my handbags that are looking a little dull. I also managed to get lunch, socialize with some co-workers I ran into at the mall and get a venti iced coffee to keep me awake through the second half of the workday.

In terms of the birthday present...I've no idea where to find some decent fun clothes that will cover booty and the rack. I suppose I'll be hitting Old Navy and Target next. I kind of wish some moms with teenyboppers checked in so they could give me a clue. Finding cool teenybopper clothes that actually fit a curvy yet well proportioned girl...and woman for that matter...seems to be impossible.

Now I kind of wish I had just gone home at lunch to watch tv and stitch a little bit.

2 comments:

Ann Marie said...

All the teenyboppers down here are built like sticks; things have changed a lot since we were teens. Looking breakable (and barely covered) is "in".

LOL re: A&F. When I worked as a cashier there we were instructed to regularly spray that stanky cologne around like it was air freshener. Glad you didn't buy anything there since they have discriminatory practices. Just say no to A&F.

Maybe you can try Brass Plum at Nordstrom or the juniors dept. at Macy's? It's still junior sizing, but they have a more generous range of sizes.

Edgar said...

I hear you about what to get the teeny-bopper crowd - my niece is going to be 9 and thinks shes 20 - I haven't got a clue and both B-day and Xmas are on the horizon!! pitty the dumb Uncle!!!!