Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Procrastination and Sad News

What is it about deadlines that makes you want to do anything other than what you should be doing? I've always been a procrastinator. I was much better managing it as a teenager though. While the teacher would talk about US Politics, I would be sitting in the back sneak reading trashy romance novels. Then I would stay up, cram what I needed to and turned in my assignments on time. Nowadays, I seem to procrastinate and then never catch up. I know this will kick me in the booty later. But I couldn't resist. Thinking about my upcoming birthday made me think of the best month ever...October...because not only is that my birthday month...it's Halloween and pumpkins and leaves changing colors and crisp air and the pumpkin festival and fun, fun decorations. October is the most wonderful time of the year! Ok, most people think that's reserved for Christmas but I just *love* October! So I dug out Boo Club as my travel project to see if maybe I can finish it before Halloween. I don't know about finish-finishing but at least have it finished. I started this at lunch yesterday and just couldn't put it down and finished off "Brew".
Not the best picture but I couldn't resist sharing! Next up is Monster. Not sure how much I'll get done since I either have lunch plans or short lunches the rest of the week. I *really* need to work on my on black stitching. It's kind of hard to see on black but I must prevail. That will be my focus during the long weekend.

I have tons to share but haven't gotten around to taking pictures and the darkness is not conducive to my camera. So I'll be back with that but probably not til the weekend.

As for the sad news, my sister called me today to tell me that her FIL passed away today. Since she and my BIL have been married for 21 years now, Grandpa Glenn was often talked about. I would see him on my trips to Texas as they were always family related affairs and spent the occasional holiday with him at my sisters. I thought I would get to maybe spend this Thanksgiving with him but he had suffered a stroke a couple of months ago and hadn't been doing so well. I know that he's at peace and free of pain and despite the sadness we all may feel, he is in a better place. During times of sorrow, I always tell people to hang onto the happy memories because they will see us through and the person who passed wouldn't want us to be sad. I remember when my niece and nephew were younger, Grandpa Glenn would make the long drive from his town to my sister's for family functions. He had his truck stashed with candy and boy did the kids know it. Creamsicle flavored Lifesavers. I wonder if they even make those anymore. The kids loved them and Grandpa Glenn sure knew to be stocked in preparation for the sugar high the kids looked forward to. If you can spare a kind word for my sister and her family as they go through this tough transition, that would be appreciated. Grandpa Glenn was a wonderful husband, father and grandfather and he will be missed.

Until next time...and on a much happier note. I promise.

22 comments:

Cole said...

So sorry to hear about your family's beloved Grandpa Glenn. Prayers and hugs are being sent your way :)

I love fall too, there's something about the changing colors and the crispness in the air that's refreshing to me!

Jeanne said...

You have my sympathies on the loss of your loved family member. You definitely have my good wishes that your fond memories see you all through. I too have an October birthday and have always loved the month. My two best friends are also Libras.

Hazel said...

Sorry to hear of your family's loss. I love october too and september but just for all the autumn colours and the smell of the colder air. x

Margaret said...

Sorry to hear of your family's loss. Lots of prayers being sent your way! I have a procrastinator for a daughter. Bigtime! My DH is a bit of one. I've discovered that I procrastinate on certain things but not others. :D Love your Boo piece!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Your L*K halloween flipits look GREAT! Yay for finishing "brew" ;)
Guess you'll have one for your upcoming birthday celebration, eh? :)

Memories of the heart is what Grandpa Glenn left your sister's family and you too...its a special person that touches someone straight in the heart and Grandpa Glenn had that stocked in full supply along with his creamsicle lifesavers :) May his soul and all the souls of the faithfully departed rest in peace.

Maggee said...

Sorry to hear of your sister's loss. It is never easy to lose a dear one, but like you said, keep all the good memories close as you go through this time, and it will not be so hard. Hugs and prayers coming your way!

Catherine said...

So sorry to hear of your sister's loss. From what you have shared, he seems to have been a wonderful man.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your family's loss. Even though he is in a better place, I know you would all rather have him here. You have my deepest sympathies.

But here's to October! It's my favorite month too. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss Valerie, my thoughts are with you all.

I procrastinate too - in fact we both do! ;) We've just got some jobs done this week that could have been done months, if not years, ago and have been asking ourselves why did it take us so long? LOL

Boo Club is looking great - I hope you manage to get it finished for this Halloween!

staci said...

Really cute stitching and I love the fabric you're using.

Will be keeping your sister and her family in my thoughts and prayers.

Danielle said...

Brew turned out great! Can't wait to see more. October is my favorite also. I love autumn. So sorry to hear about your family's loss.

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Sorry for your family's loss. I will say a prayer.
I love the stitching you are doing.

Carol said...

What a sad loss for your family, Valerie--he sounds like a very beloved man...

I also love October--what a nice month to have a birthday! And your Boo Club is looking frighteningly amazing :)

Daffycat said...

Boo Club looks great! I'm sure you can finish before the 31st ~ go for it!

Anonymous said...

I am SO sorry for the loss of Grandpa Glen. I hope that all the happy memories sustain your family at this very difficult time.

Shelleen said...

I am sorry of the loss in your family.
I have always loved Fall and Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. My husband's birthday is on Halloween.
I started the Book Club and then sent it on as a RR.

mainely stitching said...

So sorry to hear of your family's loss. I hope your sister and her husband's family are dealing okay with losing someone so beloved.

Kathy said...

I hear you about the procrastination. I swear that I'm the Queen. Wait. I'll swear later. :)

My condolences to your sister and the whole family on their loss. May the pain fade quickly and the smiles last forever.

Rachel S-H said...

Keeping your family in my prayers.

Katrina said...

That's so sad! Lots of big hugs.

Love your Brew piece. I love October because I like fall, although where I am at we can have winter days in October, LOL.

Siobhán said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Grandpa Glenn! Prayers going out to all of the family.

I love autumn, too! I love the excuse to hunker down and hibernate inside the house. ;) Congrats on your Simple Joys finish!

Julie said...

I'm sorry you have sadness in your life right now, i'm sure in time those fond memories will be a source of happiness for you all