Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Butterfly Family

Just a quick little post. I've been busy cleaning up my bedroom this evening. Wow! I found all these new clothes I stashed away and forgot about! I need to buy hangers so I can actually see the clothes and actually wear them. Wow, what a concept, huh? As I was cleaning, I came across this little butterfly family. They were gifted to me by my cousin last year and whereas I think they are very cute, they are not quite my taste. My family is from Nicaragua and these come straight from my homeland. This is a sample of the craft/art that is made there. They are wooden butterflies painted white, fuschia and black with little bits of green. They have little metal antennas and metal posts in the back that allow them to stand. They are cute!! The largest mommy butterfly is 5"x5" and the smallest is about 2" x 2.5".
I've been hanging onto them because I can't bear to think about donating them to the Goodwill. They are from my homeland and they were a gift. I would like to find them a good home. If you think that you can provide my butterfly family with a nice and loving home and appreciate this art form from a much neglected and under-appreciated third-world country, please leave me a comment on this post only saying you'd like to adopt the butterfly family. I'm not going to require that you post on your own blog but that would be appreciated. If there is more than one comment with interest, I will do a drawing when I get back from vacation (yay! vacation!!). Last day to enter the drawing to adopt my butterfly family is Sunday, September 6th at 10PM PST. I will do the drawing on Labor Day (September 7th).

I will try to edit this post on Friday this week with better daytime pictures. My night-time pictures leave a lot to be desired! :)

Edited Saturday, 8/29 with better pictures:

Butterfly Family Front

Butterly back
Some folks have mentioned hanging the butterfly family and I wanted to illustrate that they stand with a little bendable metal stand. Unless you are handy and can put a hook on them, they are not hang-able (is that even a word?)

I hope the butterfly family finds a good home!

Until next time...

13 comments:

lenna said...

I think your butterfly family is quite beautiful and I would love to add them to my collection. I collect cats but butterflies are always welcome. Your blog is very nice and I will come back often to see what you are up to.
God Bless ~
Lenna

Nina said...

How gorgeous family :))

Danielle said...

My boyfriend's daughter would just love these as a gift for Christmas. So I hope I win! What beautiful butterflies! And what a great idea for a giveaway instead of Goodwill.

Margaret said...

I love your idea of giving the butterflies away! Knowing they're from Nicaragua makes them that much more special.

Carol R said...

What gorgeous butterflies - I am sure they would like to come and live with me so please enter me into the draw!

Blu said...

They are very beautiful butterflies, and I would love to have them on my wall.

Peg said...

Oh I would love to add them to my collection of wooden treasures that I have collected all over the world. They are beautiful and I agree they are much to precious to take to Goodwill.

Laura said...

I would love to share them with my students by putting them in my classroom!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely gift from home! Your butterfly family looks handcrafted. Someone sure put a lot of heart and soul into that. What a neat idea for a giveaway!

CindyMae said...

I think they are a gorgeous butterfly family. I have a perfect spot on the wall to hang them, please include me in the drawing!

Cindy F. said...

Valerie, I'm terribly behind (as usual) on reading blogs....but I just read through your last 6 post...lol...and WOW!! You have added some great stash and done some beautiful stitching girl!! You've accomplished way more than me;)

Love your butterflies!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Those are adorable. I would love to adopt them for my library's display case (its in a high school). I could certianly use them in a summery/spring book display.

Mary Elizabeth said...

Those little butterflies are so cute. I am the same way about things too. You know that you like them and they were a gift but they don't really fit in. Can't just get rid of them. The give a way is a perfect plan.

I hope your va-ca is very realaxing. Are you going to Blog durring it?

Mary