Wednesday, January 30, 2008

First Date of '08

I've mentioned it before. I'm not in much of a dating mood right now but I still want to be social once in a while or I may become a single crafting hermit who never leaves the house unless it's to get more yarn, linen or floss. Nobody wants that. I'm already talking way too much crafty-talk to my friends who don't understand what I'm even talking about since they aren't crafters.

I'm trying to be more selective about who I go out with after coming across someone's vent on a website late last month. The guy was complaining that he had just been on a first date with a woman who told him that he was her 47th date that year. 47 dates in a year?!? OMG, I don't think I could be that cute and witty on such a continuous basis. That's practically one new date a week! I've labeled myself a serial dater and picky. I have been a serial dater and am picky but I don't think I'm overly so. There are a lot of wack jobs out there. But I don't want to be the girl who has 47 first dates in a year. That's just ridiculous.

So I hesitantly accepted the offer of a coffee date over the weekend; half wondering if I really wanted to do this as beautiful yarn was calling my name at home. But I went ahead and did the first date meet-up at a local coffee shop. It was a nice date. We met for three hours and talked about loads of things. Talks of a second date are in the motion but no real sparks flying...yet. He's a "safe" guy which I should be looking for. Stable job, good family values, local, similar interests, a tad shy and seems pretty accepting of his 30's. That's all good stuff when you're looking for something long-lasting. I don't need the bad guy. I fall for it everytime. The bad boy with his motorcycle or his tattoos or his crazy and exciting job. It's all very interesting and fun but always frustrating and short-lived too. I don't need that in my life. Plus, I think I've come to accept that I may be too much of a "good girl" to put up with the "bad boy.

As a sidenote: I think it's odd when someone emails you out of the blue to say that they are in your town for a few days and asks if you'd like to meet up for coffee. It's one thing if it's someone you know but it's another if it's a complete stranger. I don't know what this guy was thinking emailing me! I know he'd looked at my profile in the past but considering I didn't even know his name, I wasn't about to make time out of my schedule to meet him. I may be adventurous with online dating...but not that adventurous!

No comments: