Monday, January 18, 2010

Rainy Days

What a wet and dreary day it is today! I'm supposed to be at the parentals right now but *the boy* had a meeting and the rain is coming down pretty steadily. I'm nice and let him borrow my car and I'll see the parentals a little later. Lots of laundry to do and I'm sure the folks think I've forgotten all about them. Truth be told, with it being all rainy, I'd much rather stay at home in my jammies than drive on slick roads and wrestle with laundry.

This has been a rather strange week. After my workout on Monday, I came home and organized more of the mess. At the end of the night, I went to stand up and felt a lot of pain in my lower back. It was late and I went to sleep and was fine sleeping but when I went to get up in the morning to get ready for work, I really couldn't. I'd thrown out my back and called in sick to work for three days. I pretty much spent that time lying about drugged up on Flexeril and sleeping at the drop of a pin! It wouldn't have been so bad if I could actually stitch but it's hard to stitch when you're flat on your back. Trust me...I tried. So *the boy* played nursemaid and I just tried to get better. I felt ok enough to go to work on Friday but was still pretty stiff and couldn't stand for long periods of time. By the end of Friday, I had dinner and fell asleep only to wake up the next morning. The medication the doctor gave me makes me very, very sleepy and unmotivated. Today is the first day I am trying to make do without the medication. I feel pretty much back to normal so I hope this is the end of me and my aching back! I've got way too much to do!

Saturday, I decided to start my L*K Boo Club. My intention is to do one block per month and be done at the end of the year but I'd love to finish it by Halloween if some free time opens up mid-year. I finished "Spooky".
I was so excited to start that I didn't really read the border directions. I'll be frogging out the orange and doing it yellow as charted. I assumed they were still blocks if you did them all on one long piece of fabric but they aren't. Oopsie! I'm stitching this on 32 count BOAF Meadowlark with the recommended overdyeds.

It's also time to TUSAL reporting. Here's my jar posing with some funky orchids *the boy* brought home the other day.

And here is a close-up. You can see some of the orange from Boo Club, purple for a gift I'm making and below that are Mary Wiham orts.
I feel like I've gotten lots of stitching done this month by looking at my orts jar!

Well, better get that dirty laundry together...

Until next time...

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! So sorry to hear about your back Valerie, I hope you feel better soon.

staci said...

Sorry to hear about your back...that can really stop you in your tracks! Hope you are doing better now :)

Branlaadee said...

I am glad to hear your back is doing better. TUSAL looks great and are those real orchids? That color is amazing.

Blu said...

Hope your back is better soon. Spooky looks great!

Melissa said...

Ouch, your back didn't get better after your last email to me. I hope it gets better soon and stays that way!

Theresa said...

Sorry to hear about your back!!! I hope you are getting back to your oldself by now.
That orchit is so weird!! It's so intereing that you can change its color just by adding something in the water!!!!

Daffycat said...

Ooo, poor girl. Having back spasms is not a fun time. Hope it gets better quickly!

Love your ORT jar!

Margaret said...

Oh Valerie, what a bummer about your back! I know how that is -- although for me it was a neck that got thrown out so to speak. And no, one can't stitch when one is lying down trying to make one's back or neck better -- and the meds don't help one bit either! I'm glad you're feeling better. Don't overdo -- you don't want to reinjure your back!

Love your Boo Club start! What a bummer that you have to frog! But it's looking good at least!

I've been collecting my orts every year too. Haven't done anything with them except put them in a box labeled with the year. Isn't it fun to start with an empty ort jar on New Year's Day?

Take it easy with that back!!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Feel better soon. Bank pain is some of the worst pain there is.

Nima said...

get well soo val...the spooky finish looks cute

gorgeous orchids too...

Cole said...

Ooh, I love the orchids, they're so pretty!

Great stitching & I hope your back stops giving you grief real soon :)

Carol R said...

Sorry to hear about your back - rest plenty and don't over it!
Gorgeous orchids - amazing colour!

Siobhán said...

Ack, sorry to hear about your back! It must have been very frustrating to have all that time & not be able to stitch.

Spooky looks great!

Shelleen said...

I hope that your back is better soon. I am also doing the LK Boo Flip Its. I am using the free pattern for the border.

Hazel said...

Ahhhh I'm sensing hermithood again!! My back has gone bad as well. It's really hard to pick a heavy two year old up with a bad back. x

Carol said...

Love your spooky start--I think it would be hard for me to stop after one block and wait until the next month!

Hope your back feels better very soon, Valerie--my husband has trouble with his, too, and I know how much pain it can cause...

Jeanne said...

Oh I just hate having back issues -you just can't do ANYthing when your back is out. Hope it is 100% soon. Hey I see you have the same pincushion I do from The Daily Pincushion. :) My SIL got it for me on Etsy and I just love it.

Michelle said...

So sorry to hear about your back. I've done that once and have no desire to go through it again!! Love the orchids and your new start!

Parsley said...

Back trouble is no good! Sometimes I sit on a balance/yoga ball. It helps my lower back.

Meari said...

Sorry to hear about your back. That happened to me once, just by mopping the floor. Those drugs... Mmmm yeah, they knocked me out too. Glad you're feeling better, though.

Congrats on your Spooky finish!