Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Let's Play Ball!

World Series...

SF Giants vs Texas Rangers

Uh oh...looks like I'll be at odds with my sister and my blogging buddies.

Let's play nice, ok?! Ok...



I was pointed to this article in the Dallas Morning News and it set my ire.

Apparently, San Franciscans are too gay, too girly, too liberal, too democratic to play baseball. Uh, really? Oh and let's not mention being demonic because our colors are orange, white and black instead of red, white and blue.

So, San Francisco doesn't deserve to play baseball because of all those things. But if Mr. Steve Blow was sitting in AT&T Park, he would be witness to American Pride for our city's baseball team. Or if he happened to visit any bar or tv viewing restaurant, he would see patrons stop in the middle of the meals to cheer. We are a baseball town who has actually played in the World Series before! We've been here...we're good at it!

I think it's sad that this journalist wrote this article. He just exemplifies all those stereotypes that exist about Texas. San Francisco is a town that has changed over the years but what it has always been is accepting of people who run away from the life they had before. From people who didn't accept them...for whatever reason. It embraces them and we are a mishmosh of ethnic groups, cultural diversity, interests and such. And there are now more transplants (people originally from other states/countries) than there are true San Franciscans. But I haven't seen any SF-based journalists write a bashing article about Texas or saying that the Rangers shouldn't be playing in this game.

Shame on you Mr. Blow. With a name like that, you're lucky that you aren't in SF. Because you know, the gays might get confused and think it's a request. I was kidding with that comment but I'm sure he may think it's a reality.

What happened to the simple basics of baseball? They play, we root for our teams and whoever wins played the best, we shake hands and get on with our day. Isn't that what we try to teach the children of today? It's not about who wins, it's about who plays the best and plays with integrity.

So let's root, bite our nails, have fun...and whoever ends up winning this thing...played the best.

Go Giants!!



I'm back from NY and I'm exhausted from walking about 50 blocks a day. Exhausted!! I'm caught up in baseball fever and getting things ready for my folks who are finally coming back home after 5 months away. I'm not sure if it's more work with them gone or here. Time will tell.

I'll talk more about NY later. I'm so tired and have been busy catching up on blogs and paperwork and bills and omg, why does everyone have to have their birthday at the same time gift-shopping stress.

I will warn you that I don't have pictures to share of NY. I know! Can you believe it!? I was on the plane talking to this nice NYer about how it's my first trip and at that moment, I realized I forgot my camera at home. Don't you hate that? All night I felt like I was forgetting something and I couldn't figure it out. And of course, I remember...on the plane. I was so upset! But I had a wonderful time despite it. So good a time that I want to go back sooner than later. Must start planning!!

Until next time...

14 comments:

Sylvia said...

Glad your back and had a good time in New York. Too bad about the camera!!

As to the article - it was intended as a tongue in cheek type thing, he was not serious. I hope you took the time to read some of the responses which are quite eye opening, sometimes quite amusing, sometimes jaw dropping...

As to the World Series.... may the best team win, whether they have been there before or it's their first time.

Natasha said...

what a stinky article I did not even click on it becasue narrow mined people cant waste my time. But I will say this, WAY TO GO GIANTS!!!! what a 1st game :)

I hope we can do the same tomorrow. I am glad you are back saftley from the Big Apple. I have never been but have heard there is much to see.

Take care and Go Giants!!! :0)

Cole said...

That sucks that you forgot your camera!!! All the more reason to go back though!

Andrea said...

I can't believe you forgot your camera! Such a bummer! Oh well, the memories live on in your head, right? ;) Glad you're safely home.

I'm not a sports fan, but living in TX, knowing so many Rangers fans, I'm happy that they finally made it to the World Series. I don't get the vitriol some people have for the opposing team. Ugh, it's really not pretty at all.
I did tell you my hubster lived in SF for several years before moving back to Texas and meeting me, right? He loved it there. Hope we get to visit the area together someday, as I'd love to see the areas he talks about....

Margaret said...

Bummer about the camera! I'm glad you had a great time in NY though. If you feel like diving into some more NY scenery, check out "New York, I Love You." It's a cool movie with 12 directors making little segments that flow into each other, all telling their own story of NY. There's another one that's called "Paris, Je T'aime" that's the same idea, but in Paris. They're both lots of fun.

Maggee said...

I am a native San Franciscan, 3rd generation, but living in Virginia Beach now... And sometimes people don't 'get me' and think so differently than me. I know it is because of being raised in SF. So--GO GIANTS! Wasn't the last time they were in the World Series 1989--the year of the earthquake?? Goes along with my mantra/song: We will survive!! Hugs.

Jennifer said...

That is great that you got to NY!Looking forward to hearing all that you did. Well now that my Phillies are out of the running our household is cheering for the Giants!! Their pitcher Tim has been fun to watch . My husband thinks he looks like a skater dude with that hair! cute my daughter says! We love baseball here and so excited that San Fran is in the running .

Katrina said...

No pictures :-(? I hate it when I forget my camera too, I've done it more than once, LOL. Glad you had fun!!!!

Elizabeth Ann said...

Love those Giants. We are moving back West so my son and husband will be able to enjoy the Giants and A's together again! I enjoy you stitching too!!

Natalia said...

Valerie, glad you had fun in NY !!! No pictures !!! What's up with that?? :-)

Pumpkin said...

Welcome back Valerie! Yes, there's A LOT of walking in NY ;o) I'm sorry you forgot your camera though :o(

Christina said...

Oh Valerie, your 'Mr Blow' comment had me in stitches! I spent my youth being constantly teased about my surname, but now I love that it's a bit different. As for Mr Blow? Well, I guess the teasing goes on for him!

Carol said...

Glad you had such a nice NY visit, Valerie. I know just what you mean about walking--the last time we were there was the day after Thanksgiving about 5 years ago and my feet have never been so tired in my life! That pavement is hard! But, there is such excitement there...

I'm rooting for the Giants for you :)

Valerie said...

I could not help but chuckle while reading your post, Valerie. The Mr. Blow comment was HILARIOUS!

Bummer that you forgot you camera on your trip to NY! Guess that means you will have to go back...and soon!