Sunday, February 26, 2012

I Did It...I Finally Did It!

I started Fairy Moon!

If you've been a longtime reader, you've probably seen me mention Fairy Moon a few times. Then I go comment on every blog I find who's worked on it and say how much I love it and how I'm going to start it soon. Ha!

And then I tell everyone about my Mirabilia/Nora Corbett "to stitch" list and Fairy Moon is always number 1 on that list. And, uh, my Mira list if getting obscene. So much to stitch!

For years...I've been saying I'm starting it "soon".

For years, it's been kitted up and languishing in a jumbo ziploc in the stash closet. Waiting to be started. For the day to come when I would get over the BAP cold feet and just get on with it already. Valerie...get the heck over it!

And Friday was that day. All irritated with my Christmas stitching with running out of threads and weird colors, I rushed home...slapped that fabric on scroll rods and just started stitching!


And here is what I managed to stitch on Friday and Saturday nights. Not much but its a good start! I started in the middle because I get too nervous starting at the top on projects that don't have a border. This purply part is the fairy's shawl. The fabric is a piece of SMF Dragon Moon which is long discontinued. I think it will really pop and create a night-time illusion of the fairy chasing the moon.

***

I'm having a quiet weekend. Yesterday, I slept in til 11am and just relaxed and caught up on The Voice. I love that show! I ran my errands in the neighborhood and headed to my parents to do laundry and had a nice visit with my mom. She planted a bee in my bonnet a couple of weeks ago about how I should try to find a small condo/apartment to buy. Something about it being a buyer's market with low interest rates. My budget for such a thing is quite low but out of curiousity, I looked on the real estate sites. I found the one of my dreams! Gorgeous. And only $500K for a one bedroom. (!!!) Needless to say, I can't afford that but I think it put things in perspective for my mom that I'd rather rent my lovely apartment than buy something I don't love but can afford. I guess I just have expensive taste or San Francisco is just too darn pricey.

Today is the Oscars!! I've been pretty lax the last 3 weeks or so in my movie viewing so I didn't see everything I had hoped to but I saw a lot of the nominated films. This year, I bought tickets to see a live telecast of the Oscars in a movie theater and they will have an emcee do skits and drawings and such during the commercials. I've always wanted to do this so I hope it's as fun as it sounds! So excited!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!

Until next time...

33 comments:

Cole said...

Yay for new starts!!! Can't wait to see more progress :)

I love The Voice too ~ my favorite audition this last week was Jamie Lono's version of Folsom Prison... awesome!

Robin said...

Congrats on a long over due start! Can't wait to see the fairy materialize from that beautiful linen!

I started watching The Voice this year and I am really enjoying it. I'm also an American Idol addict so I'm up to my ears with singing competitons, and I love it!

Have fun at the Oscar event tonight!

Christina said...

Woo hoo! You started Fairy Moon! I love the fabric you've chosen - it will look stunning.
500k for a one bedroom apartment??? Wow, that's London prices!

CalamityJr said...

Yay for you! That's a great start on Fairy Moon. Have fun tonight!

cucki said...

yayyyyyyyyyyyy from my side too..
very sweet start,,
big hugs xxx

Giovanna said...

Great start! I can't think of anything more rewarding than starting a project you've wanting to start for a long time :-)

Danielle said...

Oh I loved stitching Fairy Moon! Although I substituted Rainbow Gallery Petite Treasure Braid for all the beads. I am catching up on The Voice right now! The Oscars thing sounds fun. Please tell us how it was.

Jennifer M. said...

Enjoy your new project. It already looks fabulous on that fabric you've chosen. Have fun at the Oscar viewing you are going to. BTW....San Fransisco is expensive! It is not just you. ;)

Jen

Handmade Redhead said...

Valerie, it looks lovely so far! Glad you got over your BAP fear. :) It helps me to put 1 or 2 small projects into the middle of a BAP so I can get the feeling of accomplishment!

Have fun at your Oscar party tonight! That sounds like a lot of fun.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Congratulations for getting started on your dream BAP! I started Ann Dale in January and am still enjoying - let's hope we both keep our enthusiasm up for our BAPs!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Great new start, Val! I'll really enjoy watching this come to life. Have fun at the Oscar party. I've seen most of the nominated films - just saw "The Artist" this afternoon - awesome!
$500k for a one bedroom. Maan, SF is a seriously high cost area, huh?

LoriU said...

I love Fairy Moon too and have her in my stash! Congrats on the start!

Natasha said...

Congratulations on FINALLY starting on her, I can't wait to see more. I agree, it is wiser to rent than to buy something you hate just for the sake of owning. I mean you gotta live in it for a long time.

How fun is that gonna be to see alive viewing of the Oscars!! Have a wonderful time. Next time I need you to show me how your floor stand rates, I didnt pay attention to it at the GTG ;)

Have a wonderful night my friend

Lainey said...

Happy dancing with you Val thats a lovely new start. The fabric looks so pretty, look forward to more up-dates.
Enjoy the Oscars!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

A very pretty new start, I hope you enjoy working on it.

Margaret said...

Oh that's so cool about the live theater for watching the Oscars!! i didn't know they did things like that -- so fun! I hope you love it! I'm glad you started Fairy Moon It's so pretty! Interesting about the prices of condo/apartments. That is definitely pricey!!! I think SF is just expensive, just like NYC is. Such a bummer though -- it IS supposed to be a buyer's market right now. Wonder where. lol!

Hope the Oscar thing is fun!! You have to tell all when you have the time.

Deb said...

Congrats on your start Val. There is no time like the present is there. I like that fabric that you're using too.

I think that I'm going to watch the Oscars too. I normally don't sit down this early in the evening, but....well, there is always a first time and maybe I'll get some good stitching done.

Sounds like the cost of living is crazy there. My sister and mom live in LA and compared to when they first moved in - they would never be able to afford what they have now because of the prices.

Catherine said...

Your fabric choice looks perfect for this piece!
That is some expensive living out there! Wowzers!
Have fun at your Oscar event!

Carol said...

I'm so pleased to see you've finally started it, Valerie--it is already looking so, so pretty :)

Yes, my sons say the same thing--and it is a lot cheaper to live here than SF. They have no interest in buying a house or condo when they like their inexpensive apartment so much...

That sounds like such fun for the Oscars--enjoy :)

Anne said...

Yay for starting Fairy Moon! That fabric you chose is gorgeous and it will look like she is chasing the moon!!

Double yay for sleeping in! It's rare for me to get that!! I hear you about buying an expensive apartment. Vancouver is around the same in cost. We would rather have a two bedroom than a one bedroom. Where would I put my stitching stuff?!

Have fun watching the Oscars!!

PS, saw the Artist last night and it was amazing!!

Veronica said...

Don't you just love new starts? ^.^ The fabric you used is so pretty. I think Fairy Moon will really pop on it. I totally get you on wanting to start it for ages but didn't. As you can see, I recently took the plunge for Stargazer as well :)

Hugs,
Veronica.

kate n said...

A great start! Hope you had fun at the Oscars event :D

Carrie said...

Congrats on your start! Can't wait to watch your progress on this one.

Joysze said...

Awesome start, Valerie!! :D I can't wait to see more.

I love The Voice too!!! They're so much funnier this year, and since I love Maroon 5, I want Adam to win this year too. HAHAHAHAH!!!!!

How was the Oscar show?

Daffycat said...

Booyah! Way to go, Valerie! I know just what you mean about cold feet...the stitches seem so teeny ~ the fabric so immense. You can do this.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Wool Hoop! Congrats on starting Fairy Moon! I stitched it YEARS ago!!! FYI use petite seed beads in the moon instead of the size of beads it calls for, it gets pretty squishy otherwise!

drea_dear said...

Congrats on your start - and it looks like a very satisfying start. I love the pop of the colors on that fabric. Can't wait to see the progress!

Also, I love The Voice, too! I even get hubby to watch it with me sometimes!

Melanie said...

All hail Fairy Moon! Wheeeeeeeeeee!

Can't wait to see ongoing progress pics on it. :)

Myra said...

That linen is stunning and will be a great backdrop for your Fairy. I am looking forward to hearing how Oscar night went for you - sounds like fun to me.

Julie said...

Woohoo ..... jumping up and down with excitment, going to lovely watching you stitch this one, it's looking so pretty already.

Sally said...

What a beautiful start Valerie.

Pumpkin said...

Good for you!!!!

Hope you had fun :o) I still haven't heard who won Film Of The Year.

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

beautiful new start :D