Wednesday, January 07, 2009

To Sew or Not to Sew...

That is the question.

I am having a hard time making a decision. For the last couple of years, I've been eyeing sewing classes...schedule and money never coinciding. It's seems shameful to admit that I am a daughter of a seamstress yet I have no idea how to sew beyond a simple whipstitch or sewing on a button. My mother's 1930's Singer always intimidated me. It seemed like an object for play than one to whip out wonderful fabric creations. My sister gave my mother a new Singer years ago...but my mom is *old school*. She still uses her 1930's Singer with massive iron footpedal as well as her old manual typewriter.

I'd like to *borrow* the newer sewing machine and see if I can enhance my needlework by making bags, bourses, wall hangings, etc. I found a very reasonably priced class at one of the local community colleges and emailed the director of the program to see what would be involved. She replied by saying that the projects would be a knit top, drawstring pants or elastic banded skirt and a lined, reversible vest. I figure that if I can make those items, I can incorporate the skills learned into finishing needlework pieces. The class would be 3 hours long, every Tuesday Evening. This would be on top of my 75 minute yoga class every Monday and Wednesday night so each week would start off very busy with little time to myself the first three days of each week. Thereafter, the week would mellow out and I would just have to juggle my stitching projects, do any potential sewing *homework*, work, parental visit, hang out with *the boy* and schedule *hang out time* with friends. I think it's manageable. I just worry about my time management since I already have so much on my plate.

But I think that if I can gear up over the next two weeks and catch up on my stitching, then I will be ok provided I don't go overboard in signing up for exchanges. I may sign up for one but that's it. What do you guys think?

If I wait until the Fall, I'd still be under the same circumstances since I am trying to keep to a 2 workouts a week plan for the year. I am very tempted to just go ahead and sign up.

To sew or not to sew?

2 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Sew. Now rather than later so that you won't have to ponder it anymore. :-)

Ciara said...

Go for it, i've been looking for classes myself but money & time haven't been friends yet. :o)

Ciara