Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Scroog-ette

The holiday season is here and I cannot wait for it to be over. Strangely this is the first year that I have felt such a high level of *bah-humbug*. The feeling is surprising since I'm usually the first one to finish her christmas shopping, send out christmas cards and bust out the fiber optic christmas tree with lights and hang up the stockings but this year...I'm just not feeling it. I managed to put out the fairies and the *Fat Santa* pillow from last year but I should also admit that I still have my Halloween decorations out. Yep, it's December and I still have Halloween stuff up. Where does the time go?!

I did manage to finish my christmas shopping...by buying a crapload of gift cards. It's a good thing family doesn't read this as the secret would be out. I usually relish in trying to find the perfect gift and wrapping presents and making sure that they get to their destination well before the holiday so they can look pretty under the tree but family is rarely ever cooperative. So gift cards it is.

I did already go to the christmas party at work and that was a lot of fun. It was nice to see everyone out of uniform and dressed up for a nice party. A coworker and I decided to go together since we're both single and we were curious about the party but seeing all the guys there with their wives made me feel a little melancholy about my single status and that I'm always single during the holidays. It would have been nice to go to the christmas party with a special someone. That ties into New Years' Eve as well. Most of my close friends are married, in relationships or live far away. I like going out and painting the town red on NYE but it's hard to do that when you're constantly by yourself. Brian Setzer Orchestra and Cake are both playing on or close to NYE and I love both groups and would love to go out and see them play and ring in the new year. Not so much fun doing it alone though. This is another occasion where a special someone would come in handy...or having more single friends.

So I guess it's time to think about involving myself a little bit more...sports, Team in Training, 30-something social groups, church (gah! Did I just say that?!). Anyways, you get my drift. But that's something I'll need to brainstorm as a goal for 2008.

In the meantime, I'll continue my Scroog-ette mode unless something snaps me out of it. You never know...

No comments: